Are you in the process of getting your paperwork in order?
Wondering where to start when it comes to creating files?
Today’s post is a quick list of commonly used files to help you get things organized ASAP.
Please note this list is not exhaustive, but merely a general starting point for commonly used files within a household.
Feel free to add-on any files for your own records depending on your needs and circumstances.
Need help with your files and filing in general?
Be sure to check out the end of the post for a list of related posts on filing!
A Quick List of Commonly Used Files
- Bank statements
- Credit card statements
- Car payments
- Mortgage payments
- Rental payments
- Loans (student loans, personal loans, etc.)
- Telephone (landline) bill
- Cell phone bill
- Internet bill
- Water bill
- Cable bill
- Electric bill
- Heating (gas/oil) bill
- Health insurance
- Home insurance
- Life insurance
- Car insurance
- Dental records
- Vision records
- Medical records
- Specialized medical records
- Employment records
- Separation records from past employers
- Retirement accounts (401Ks, IRAs, Roth IRAs, SIMPLE, etc.)
- Yearly taxes (one folder for each tax year – you may want to create separate folders for federal and state taxes)
Need help with your filing? Check out these posts:
Now to you…what do you find is the most difficult part in keeping files up to date? Join in the conversation and leave a comment below!